Glen Mills, Pennsylvania — October 19, 2016 — The competition from across North America was fierce, but Axalta Coating Systems has narrowed down the entries in its 2016 Custom Finishes Calendar Competition to the final dozen who will appear in the 2017 calendar. Custom car owners and builders from across the United States and Canada vied to have their vehicles featured in the custom calendar that Axalta has produced annually since 1993.
A statement from Axalta says entries were judged on “best use of colour,” including finish quality, technical difficulty, design originality and artistic merit.
The grand prize winner will receive $1,000, a complimentary professional photo shoot of the winning vehicle, cover position on the 2017 Custom Finishes Calendar, one calendar page highlight and 35 copies of the 2017 calendar. Eleven first place winners will each receive $500 cash, a complimentary professional photo shoot of the winning vehicle, one in-calendar page position and 35 copies of the 2017 Calendar. The winners’ names and locations, descriptions of their vehicles, basecoat brand used and the months in which their vehicles will appear in the calendar are below.
– Grand Prizewinner – Cover and April: Derick Samson, Marshall, Missouri, 1952 Mercedes Benz 170S (Cromax)
– January: Scott Austin, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, 1965 Ford Falcon Futura (Hot Hues)
– February: Michael Velek, Manuta, Ohio, 1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport (Spies Hecker)
– March: Tim Strange, Lewisburg, Tennessee, 1968 Chevrolet C10 Pickup Truck (Cromax)
– May: Lamar Ard, Westwego, Louisiana, 1961 Chevrolet Corvette (Standox)
– June: Jim and Pat DeFew, Benton, Kentucky, 2015 Custom Motorcycle (Hot Hues)
– July: PJ Burchett, Knoxville, Tennessee, 1950 International Harvester Metro Van (Cromax)
– August: Micky Heflin, Paducah, Kentucky, 1933 Ford Roadster (Nason)
– September: Robbin Sheets, Lodoga, Indiana, 1934 Diamond T 211 Truck (Cromax)
– October: Scott McCormack, Leesburg, Florida, 1967 Pontiac Tempest (Cromax)
– November: Patrick Buse, Omaha, Nebraska, 1960 Pontiac Ventura (Cromax)
– December: Bruce Ricks, Sapulpa, Oklahoma, 1956 Ford Victoria (Cromax)